Wednesday, March 12, 2008

2nd Best Day Of The Year...

Wow, flashbacks from when I was a kid...on each of our birthdays my mother brought us on our annual trip to Toys R Us to get ANYTHING we wanted in the entire store. Well, at least we thought we had our pick of anything and BOY was that a great day in life! There were 7 of us, we didn't get toys every time we went out, we appreciated extra special days like this. I will say though, it was horrible being the older or younger sister, helping them choose something and wanting it soooo bad for myself. But when it was my turn...look out!
Thankfully my kids' birthdays are together, so I took them both to Toys R Us last night and I had as much fun (maybe more) as they did. FLASHBACKS! I tell ya, I ran to that doll section, my heart was pounding...all the pink, all the chubby little faces, isle after isle, top to bottom! I was 6 again! It was the greatest! Reilly & Caragh already had a toy in mind before we even got there and went right to it, but I forced them to look around more, I didn't want to leave! I wanted to go through the entire store and let them choose what they've always wanted, make this (the best day next to Christmas) last a little bit longer. I was reliving a moment, living through my kids, which I often do. And no, they couldn't get anything in the store and I bet neither could we, but there's no better feeling than thinking you could. I hope that they can remember the feeling like I still do. They are pretty young but we have many more of these annual birthday trips ahead of us and I can't wait!

The EXCITEMENT!!!

Reilly chose a Pound Puppy b/c on the commercial it says that they have no homes and need people to take care of them. Good advertising, huh?!


This is what they settled on, a Pound Puppy, Twins (one for each) and Caragh chose a toy microwave. Great fun! Loved it!

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Great memory kelli....Happy birthday girls, i love your new toys!!! Love Lisa & Tayla

Erin said...

same memories. loved it! and started to do the same. this will definitely be my family bday tradition too. happy birthday girls!!!

Kelli said...

Poor you though...boy's section. Just must not be the same! :(

THE MARIQUE FAMILY said...

we do the same thing!! caragh looks just like mary did when she was little!!

Mary S. said...

I loved this post! (It was actually Child World that we went to.I don't think there was toyrus when we were kids.) I do the same thing with my kids and get the same feelings. What a fun tradition and I remember trying to help you guys pic something and really wanting something too. I think Ma always bought us a punching balloon as a consolation prize so we didn't cry.
Do you remember the time brought home Cher barbies for you, me and Erin? He got them at a bar or something and made believe he only had one and you got it and me and Erin started crying, then he pulled out two more and we were so happy!
P.S. You must have looked like Katie at LOwe's taking pictures in the aisles.Looney Mother!haha!

Kelly said...

Sounds and looks like a great day for the girls. Can't wait to see you all on Sunday.....

Kelly

Anonymous said...

What a great tradition and the girls look so happy and excited. I'll have to let Jacob and Ben try this too.

I have to agree with the pound puppy choice. I loved my pound puppies as a kid too!

~Jackie

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a favorite Emerson poem. The reader travels throughout the essence of childhood into adulthood and remembers a special tea her Mom brewed. She is brought back to reality by the warm aroma wafting by her in a train station.

Just like that poem, the stuffed toy and the young woman's tools bring me back to my childhood in Calais.
I enjoy your page very much.

love Merle

Katie said...

WOW
R THOSE SUPER BABIES SUPER BABIES SUPER BABIES (sung in Dora tone...ha ha kelli, you love that)

These pics remind me of you and erin for some reason. yeah, don't knock me when u just pulled the same crap. lowe's, toys r us, it's all the same!!!!!!!
i'm just glad they didn't pick the g.d. doll i bought them!

Kris said...

They are so cute. Happy Birthday.
Kris

Becca said...

That is a nice idea. Sounds like fun. Maybe I will start that tradition with Anna.

Mom of 3 Boys said...

haha i was going to say the same thing as mary...toysrus/lowes lunies! haha! very sweet memory.

i want to go buy my girls dolls. uh oh :(

Anonymous said...

This was a great post. Made me think of my childhood... I never got to go to Toys R Us.. then for some reason my mother got a settlement and she brought me there for a $100 shopping spree. I can remember thinking I was so rich and getting dolls, cars, barbies, and a teaset. Funny how far $100 went just 15 years ago. I love that you carry on your traditions. Hope they had as much fun as you did!

Anonymous said...

how about the third best day?
sick of this post!